Sunday, July 26, 2009

Week 9: Palomar - up went fine, down ... read on

Palomar is a great climb, no question. The length, the switchbacks, the gradient changes, and the scenery all make for an amazing climb. Going up is truly epic and it was today. It was also great added pleasure to ride on to the observatory and back before the long descent back to Rincon.

Did I say long ... not so long for me as I didn't quite make the ride down in the standard fashion. That's right, the last 2/3 were by way of ambulance heading to Palomar Med Ctr. The true blessing were my fellow Challenged Athlete Foundation QMDC riders. They were fantastic across the board in helping me and protecting me while awaiting emergency services; I want to thank each and every one of you personally so bear with my while I gather the details. (I was a little fuzzy at the time)

What happened? A simple front tube blowout at 35 or so mph on the descent ended my ride with a big bang (literally) straight down bouncing, rolling, and skidding along the asphalt. The prize, a broken collarbone and AC Shoulder separation, bruised all over and quite a good bunch of road rash. It could have been so much worse; I honestly believe angels were watching over me today out there.

I will miss the group on the road for a few weeks but will be back shortly and certainly will be ready for the October finale down the coast. Thanks again for all the support with my bike, car, ride, etc.....

Keep smiling and keep riding!!!

3 comments:

  1. Clyde - So sorry to hear about your accident! You gave us all a good scare. Take care and heal well.
    Hooter - G4 Ride Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex as Dean says you are a stud. I cannot belive the smile you have in the picture since it was taken before the drugs! Hope your recovery goes well and that you are back in the saddle as soon as you wish. Looking forward to riding with you soon.
    Rob Millum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex,

    Sorry to hear you need surgery. Looking forward to having you back out on the road.

    You gave us quite the scare the other day. I can assure you, the rest of our descent was MUCH SLOWER.

    ReplyDelete