Sunday, October 25, 2009

QMDC Day 6 Summary

Shortest day on the road today with just about 55 miles to cover rolling from Marina Del Rey down to Newport Beach. While this wasn't a long day in the saddle it was a welcome morning with a late breakfast and a very relaxed rollout of the hotel. It was nice to soak up the morning and even more exciting for me as my Candi's Sister, Pam, and our Brother-in-law, Dominic, were going to meet us in Newport for a nice lunch post ride. It turned out to be an absolutely great day in so many ways. We also got to go back through Palos Verdes where we stayed during training on the double-century weekend ride which reminded me how much we've all been through together.

First, the roads are very familiar to me as I lived in Huntington Beach for several years and rode with the Seal Beach Bike Club back 20+ years ago so the memories rolling through Seal and Huntington are always special for me personally. I also decided not to stop at the graciously provided hosted lunch in Long Beach at Schooner & Later just because I had family at the finish so I headed off from the SAG stop with Sepp, who I hadn't ridden with much to date. We had great conversation and fun riding all the way through Huntington Beach together until we caught up with Mike Jennings crew with our furthest traveling handcyclist, Rachel, from Miami. She is just phenomenal and I got to support Mike, Sarah, and Radio Joe helping bring Rachel all the way into the Newport Beach Hyatt off Jamboree.

This is truly what this ride is all about. Riding with the pros and friends that we have come to know well over the past 20 weeks has been awesome, but connecting with Challenged Athletes like Rachel and making new friends like Sepp along the way is just so meaningful. I can't say enough how privileged I feel to be a part of this ride and to have had the opportunity thanks to XX1090, and of course Billy Ray Smith and Scott Kaplan of the Scott & BR Show making it all happen.

Rolled in and had a great lunch at the Cheesecake Factory - food always tastes better after a great ride with friends!!! Only got better as we came to our last dinner together and had a great table with the Radio Team as we reminisced about the ride and witnessed all the awards for the incredible performances throughout the week. Had a great Toast of Milk with Scott Kaplan, Mike Henderson, and Adam Beck to close out the week. This event has truly been top notch and I know that next year's effort with Adam Beck, following Mike Henderson as last year's radio contest winner, will be just as phenomenal.

Can't stop smiling after this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment